Map of Zurich Public Transport (427k)
"ETH Zentrum" Area
Getting to the Symposium and Downtown Zurich
||The symposium will be held at the Main Building of the ETH Zentrum (Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology) which is in downtown Zurich. The address is
Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich
CH - 8006 Zürich
(Do not go to ETH Hönggerberg or University Zurich-Irchel which are located elsewhere in Zurich!). Downton Zurich, ETH Zentrum and the main railway
station are all within 10-15 minutes walking distance from one another.
From the airport (Zurich Kloten)
The easiest and most comfortable way to the conference site is to take a taxi-cab. This will cost you about CHF 60.- (taxi-cabs are fairly
expensive in Zurich). It is not recommeded to take a rental car since Zurich is quite confusing to get around by car. A cheap and yet
comfortable way to get to the conference site is to use the excellent pbulic transportation system. See below for detailed directions.
- After reclaiming baggage, follow the signs "Bahn/Railway" to ticket counters and machines. (Do not go all the way
to the platforms yet.)
- The ticket machine accepts coins as well as 20.- SFr. banknotes and gives change. Also, there are English instructions
on the machine. Depending on your needs, you can
- buy a day ticket for 10.80 SFr. (recommended) which is valid for 24 hours for all trams and buses in the three main zones of
the city and the airport, or
- if all you need is to reach the ETH, press the red button where it says "Zurich City" (make sure that the
display shows "2Std") and put in 5.40 SFr. The ticket is valid for 2 hours for any train to Zurich as well as for the trams and
buses in the city.
- Take an escalator down to the platforms 3 or 4.
- Take a train going to "Zurich main station" (german: "Zuerich Hauptbahnhof" or simply "HB") Trains
to the city centre leave approx. every 10 minutes and take about 10 minutes to reach main station.
- Once you you have arrived at the main station you are in downtown Zurich. Now you can
- go the tourist office in case you need further information. The office is located in the big hall of the main railwaystation.
- go to Zurich's most famous shopping street, the "Bahnhofstrasse".
- go to the conference at ETH main building. See "From railway main station" just below for further directions
From railway main station
- Follow the signs at the railway station to get to the tram stop "Bahnhofstrasse / HB". The trams in Zürich are numbered and the one that
will take you to the "ETH Zentrum" carries number 6. To find the appropriate tram stop look
out for a sign with this number. On the same sign a couple of destinations are listed,
ETH/Universitätsspital and Zoo are the ones you have to look out for.
Please note that in addition to the number every tram line has its own color, the tram number is on a sign of this
color - in our case look out for a tram with a orange/brown sign with the number 6 imprinted. On the front sign of the
tram the final destination station is shown, make sure the sign reads Zoo.
- If you haven't got a valid ticket yet please buy one now. The machine accepts coins as well as 20.- SFr. banknotes
and gives change. Depending on your needs, you can
- buy a day ticket for 7.20 SFr. (recommended) which is valid for 24 hours for all trams and buses in the two main zones of
the city, or
- if all you need is to reach the ETH, press the yellow button labeled "Kurzstrecke" and put in 2.10 SFr. The
ticket is valid for 1/2 hour.
- The tram ride will take about 6 minutes. Leave at the third stop called "ETH/Universitätsspital".
- You are now standing exactly opposite the Main Building of ETH (ETH
Zentrum). Enter and go to the registration desk.
Getting to the Tutorials
||The tutorials will take place at the ETZ building of the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
The address is:
Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
CH - 8092 Zürich
Follow the same directions as for the symposium, but instead of leaving at the stop called
"ETH/Universitätsspital" get off at the fifth stop called "Voltastrasse". From the tram stop
"Voltastrasse" Walking back some steps you will get to the main entrance of the Department of Electrical Enginering